Saturday, August 20, 2016

Grandson of Iloilo village chief wins gold in US Jui-Jitsu tilt

By Alex P. Vidal

NEW YORK CITY -- Ray G. Rico, chief of Phhc 22 Mandurriao, Iloilo City in the Philippines admitted he was teary-eyed upon his recent release from hospital not because he was treated for kidney infection and diabetes during confinement.
"It was tears of joy," Rico sighed. "My ailment had nothing to do with my tears."
WACKY AND GRANDPA RAY
This was after Rico's nine-year-old grandson, Myles Joaquin "Wacky" Rico- Javelosa, won two gold medals in the recent 12th Annual North American Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Tournament held in Cerritos College Norwalk, California on Aug 6-7, 2016.
"I'm so mighty proud of Wacky. He was under my care since birth until he was four years old where he joined his mom and dad in California," Rico said. "I miss him so much and winning such gold medals makes my eyes teary. He trained hard and promised me that he would someday show me medals that I could be proud of."
Wacky has been promoted to Grey Belt level after the tournament, Rico disclosed.
He started competing in the tournament that features kids and adults in 2015 but lost two times. "Since then, Wacky would ask us to take him to two to three classes three times week because he was determined to win in the following year," Rico recalled.
Wacky won his first gold in the West Coast nationals in  Downtown, Los Angeles. 
His second gold came in the Azusa Pacific University Jiu jitsu World League.
Wacky collected his latest two gold medals in the Cerritos tournament.
WITH MAMA MARY RACHEL

Wacky is the son of MJ Adelantar Javelosa and Mary Rachel Javelosa, Rico's daughter. 
The Javelosas live in West Covina, California.
WITH THE BRAZILIAN COACH 

No comments:

Post a Comment