Wednesday, September 14, 2011

PACQUIAO NOW LIFTING UP HIS OWN CHAIR


ALEX P. VIDAL

In all of our past coverage of Manny Pacquiao's world title clashes, we haven't heard the 32-year-old hard-hitting fisttosser from General Santos City gloat over his superiority against his rivals in square jungle.
He has faced the meanest and baddest prizefighters in the world like Agapito Sanchez and Nedal Hussein; he has crossed paths with the most loquacious and virulent ribcrackers in the universe in eight different divisions like Jorge Eliecer Julio and Hector Velasquez, but we haven't heard him utter statements that tend to belittle his foes and write their imminent obituary.
Not until last Saturday during the Manila leg of the kick-off media tour of his trilogy against Juan Manuel Marquez (53-5, 39 KOs).
Pacquiao (53-3, 38 KOs) surprised everyone when he minced no words in declaring that "there is no way" for the "smaller" Marquez, who turned 38 last August 23, to survive the distance when they fight for the third time on November 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

BODY

"I was looking at his body and maybe he doesn't know the guys I've been beating up here," the part-time congressman and full-time professional boxer boasted.  
Pacquiao finds Marquez's frame "too small" and belittled the Mexican's "one style" which is his counter punch. 
“I know there have been doubts over the last two fights. There have been debates on who won them. This fight should end all doubts. This fight should end all debates," Pacquiao said. 
"I truly believe this fight will be the best fight we have ever fought and we will train harder than ever in preparation for each other. I began working out five days ago. The earliest I have ever started training. I want to seal the deal on this one.”
Among the Mexican warriors he had faced in the past, Pacquiao considered Marco Antonio Barrera as the hardest puncher. They rumbled twice and beat Barrera in as many encounters (TKO 11, Nov. 15, 2003 and UD 12, Oct. 6, 2007).

WELTERWEIGHT

Pacquiao, the reigning WBO welterweight ruler, was referring to the 144 lbs "catch weight" where he and Marquez will square off for 12 rounds.
They first mangled each other on May 8, 2004 in the 126 lbs in a knock down-marred fight that ended in a split draw and on March 15, 2008 in the 130 lbs in a rematch that earned Pacquiao a controversial split decision verdict and Marquez's WBC tiara but not after Pacquiao's face had been cut to ribbons (I hold the exclusive photo of this "evidence.")
“Manny is not the same fighter I fought before. He is now a two-handed fighter. No longer left hand-crazy, Manny’s right hand is as dangerous as his left and I think his speed is better too," Marquez said. 
"I was not angry that I had to wait for this third fight because I always stayed busy, but I am very happy to have this fight now. I am fighting hard for my country and my fans.” 

CHIEF

For his part, Top Rank chief Bob Arum said: "The world of sports will see a classic, classic match. This match will be a credit to boxing and will be eagerly followed by all sports fans. Only an event this big would warrant a media tour this immense – one that not only includes the U.S. but the native countries of these two great champions. This will be Manny’s biggest pay-per-view promotion ever. I would especially like to thank Solar Entertainment for producing the Manila portion of this media tour. It was incredible and something none of us will ever forget.”

No comments:

Post a Comment