Saturday, November 4, 2017

My opinion is not for sale

"I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job."
-- Margaret Thatcher

By Alex P. Vidal


NEW YORK CITY
-- If Atty. Leopoldo "Pol" de Junco can't prove that I have been paid to defend "dismissed" Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog from false allegations that the mayor is a narco-politician, and the mayor enriched himself by stealing the taxpayers' money, he will be in trouble legally.
Not only that.
I can also challenge Atty. De Junco to a public debate at the Iloilo Freedom Grandstand or in any public place of his choice on his fallacy about me as a journalist.
If he can't produce any documentary, circumstancial, or even testimonial evidence to back his fantabulous lies, that's his big problem.
As an independent journalist, my views and ideas are not for sale. My opinion is not biased. They are based on truth, justice, and strong convictions.
I am not beholden to any interest. This explains why I can criticize any public official constructively and look at them straight in the eyes.
We may also resolve during the debate that Mabilog, who was recently ousted (the decision is under appeal) by the Ombudsman, is a corrupt public official as what his detractors are trying to portray him.
Mabilog did not enrich himself by stealing the taxpayers' money. The Ombudsman's decision was based on Mabilog's Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net worth (SALN), not because he benefitted from ghost projects or rigged public biddings.
He and wife, Marivic, were already millionaires even before Mabilog was elected first in 2004 as city councilor. Marivic lived a simple life like an ordinary housewife thus no one would notice that she's moneyed. She never bragged about their family's wealth.
Freeman Ganzon, one of the sons of the late Sentor Rodolfo "Roding" Ganzon that I respect most, once told me that when Mabilog was planning to run for city mayor in 2010, "he had US$2 million in the war chest," whatever that means.
Nobody confirmed Mr. Ganzon's statement, but I always believed in the integrity of this man, one of the most controversial characters during the reign of Senator Ganzon as city mayor in thr early 90's.
Freeman Ganzon, a very approachable and amiable man, is the brother of Iloilo City Vice Mayor Jeffrey Ganzon. 
Accept this challenge, Atty. Junco, and I won't call you a joker and coward; I won't call you a "shame in the law profession" (for being a liar).


-o0o-


By the time this article comes out, I may have completed my coverage of the 47th New York Marathon on November 5, 2017.
I am one of those who pledged to unite with those involved in the most prestigious and biggest 42.195-kilometer race in the universe.
The more than 50,000 runners who kicked off their 26.2-mile journey through the Big Apple's five boroughs have vowed to show a united act of defiance, strength, and unity after the recent terror attack that killed eight people in the Lower Manhattan.
The marathon was witnessed by 2.5 million spectators even as security was increased beyond the already-high levels typical for these types of mammoth events.
More sand trucks and block vehicles were added along the course.
Additional counter sniper teams, heavy weapos teams, aviation units helped scanned the rooftops, while plaincloths officers mixed in with the cheering crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment