Thursday, July 2, 2020

Congressman Gorriceta’s $200 ‘bet’ for Mayweather

“Well, I can fake my way around some things, but I don't think I would be good at betting.”
Diane Lane

By Alex P. Vidal

A WEEK before I left the Philippines to cover the Mayweather Jr. vs Pacquiao 12-round title fight that took place in Las Vegas on May 2, 2015, one of the last persons I met in Iloilo City was then Iloilo second district Rep. Arcadio “Cadio” H. Gorriceta.
It was Gorriceta, also a former mayor of Pavia, Iloilo, who set up our meeting in the morning in a coffee shop inside the Smallville Complex.
Lex, gusto ko lang mabal an ang prediction kag analysis mo sa fight ni (Manny) Pacquiao kag ni (Floyd Jr.) Mayweather (I just want to know your prediction and analysis on the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight),” explained Rep. Gorriceta, who was carrying a large folder containing the papers for his projects and didn’t drink any coffee.
I did not beat around the bush. 
I told Rep. Gorriceta right away “I saw Mayweather winning the bout on points.”
No one is going to win by a knockout, I continued. 
He was stunned. 
The congressman thought I would tell him Pacquiao would topple the undefeated black American champion, who was trying to eclipse Rocky Marciano’s 49-0 ring ledger.
Ngaa man? (But why?)” Rep. Gorriceta intoned. “Halos tanan naga hambal nga pirdihon gid ni Pacquiao si Mayweather. Damu gani mapusta kay Pacquaio (Most people are saying Pacquiao will defeat Mayweather and they are placing a bet for Pacquiao).”

-o0o-

After listening to my explanation and brief analysis, Rep. Gorriceta quipped: “Actually naga pamati ako sang mga analysis mo sa radyo kag sa newspaper. Kon mag amo sina mapusta na lang ako kay Mayweather. Wala ako naga sugal pero kalingawan lang namon ini sang mga amigo ko (I always listened and read your analysis on the radio and in the newspaper. If that’s the case, I will just place a bet on  Mayweather. I’m not a gambler; my friends and I are only having some fun).”
Rep. Gorriceta originally picked the hard-hitting Filipino boxer, but after our conversation, he said he would place a bet of $200 for Mayweather “just for fun.”
We parted ways after about an hour.
The Pacquiao vs Mayweather Jr. duel, dubbed as “Fight of the Century” or the “Battle for Greatness” held at the MGM Grand, was won by Mayweather Jr., a scientific fighter, by unanimous decision, with two judges scoring it 116–112 and the other 118–110.
It’s been five years since I left, and I have not spoken to Rep. Gorriceta since then.
I learned that he bade goodbye on July 2, 2020 morning (Philippine time). He was 74.
Rest in peace, Rep. Gorriceta (September 30, 1945-July 2, 2020)

-o0o-

THE mighty United States of America did not abandon its people in the time of pandemic.
In fact, it looks like America is “pampering” the Americans, to say the least, based on the amount of economic impact payment they have been getting since March.
After the passage in Congress with overwhelming bipartisan support the $2.2 trillion Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) on March 27, 2020, House Democrats in May passed their vision for additional relief, dubbed the HEROES Act. 
The bill includes a second round of $1,200 direct payments to individuals, allowing for up to $6,000 per household, and would extend the $600 per week federal unemployment insurance benefit through January. That level of unemployment insurance is currently set to expire at the end of this month.
“We had something where they wanted where it gave you a disincentive to work last time,” President Donald Trump said in the Fox Business interview. “We want to create a very great incentive to work.”
“So we’re working on that, and I’m sure it’ll all come together.”
When asked to clarify if he wanted larger direct payments or larger unemployment benefits, Trump replied: “I want the money getting to people to be larger so they can spend it. I want the money to get there quickly and in a non-complicated fashion.”
(The author, who is now based in New York City, used to be the editor of two local dailies in Iloilo)



No comments:

Post a Comment