Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Why I avoid politicians

 

“True independence and freedom can only exist in doing what's right.”

Brigham Young

 

By Alex P. Vidal

 

A TRUE media “fiscalizer” committed to mirroring the truth and acting as vanguard of democracy should limit himself—if not refrain—from associating with politicians, police and military officials with the inclination to abuse their power and commit shenanigans.

Or politicians, police and military officials with bad reputations and shady background, especially the underworld characters.

It’s not bad to befriend some of them as they can be our rich sources of news and other relevant information.

But we, members of the Fourth Estate, must sometimes learn how to draw the lines. 

Our independence and integrity are crucial and paramount especially when we criticize erring public officials and scalawags in military and police uniform. 

If we live in a house of glass, it’s risky to cast the (first and last) stone. 

If we are beholden to the subjects of our news, either because we have developed a close relationship or have asked favors from them or both, we can’t be an effective or credible sentinel or paragon of social change.

I avoid, or try to avoid, politicians and men in uniform because I don’t want to compromise my profession. 

I’ll be both ashamed and guilty if I can’t criticize and expose corrupt public officials or bad eggs in police and military because “they are my friends”, or “I have partied with them and joined them in drinking sessions and other private activities.” 

 

-o0o-

  

WHEN Iloilo and Guimaras politicians arrived in New York City during the 2017 Philippine Independence Day Parade, I tried to avoid them.

They were a city mayor, city councilors, a congresswoman, a governor, a vice governor, board members, among other “unreliable” characters who draw salary from the taxpayers.

My reason was simple: I didn’t want to be associated with them; I didn’t want to be their “friend.” Loud and clear.

A “hi” and “hello” or “good morning” and “good afternoon” were enough. 

No tete-a-tete over a cup of coffee or tea. No nothing.

I avoided the photo sessions in the programs I attended in the Philippine Consulate General New York where there were politicians. Fellow journalists Herbert Vego, Regine Algecera, Tara Yap, Florence Hibionada, who were with the delegation, must have noticed it.

Way back in the Philippines where I was an active community journalist for over 30 years, I seldom befriended politicians; but I “worked” with a few of them on a case to case basis in the early 90’s.

 

-o0o-

 

Over the years, I developed secret but personal friendships with only a few: Jesry Palmares (former Passi City mayor), Rolly Distura (former Dumangas mayor and now a board member), Alex Centena (former Calinog mayor), the late former vice governor Bugoy Molejona, former elected vice governor and DILG sworn-in governor Obet Armada. 

My relationship with Jesry was more on sports. We traveled together outside Iloilo and dined with sports patrons in as far as Cebu; we never discussed politics.

Every time former First Gentleman Mike Arroyo wanted to talk to me or meet me, he contacted Jesry, who contacted me.

Rolly, an engineer, was my friend even before he became mayor of Dumangas. This was when he worked for the late former Iloilo fourth district Rep. Narcing Monfort. 

In the last 20 years, I met him only for at least three times, but Engr. Distura, a man of character and integrity, is one of the only few Iloilo public servants I truly hold in high esteem.

Tokayo Alex and I knew each other in the 80’s when he wasn’t yet a politician. We always met and shared meals in the house of his future wife in Calinog and he would drive me to the bus terminal when I went back to Iloilo City.   

Bugoy, who died in 2015, was one of my model public servants. 

I was a capitol beat reporter when he became a board member in 1988. He had served briefly as OIC governor and subsequently as Iloilo Sports Complex administrator when Iloilo hosted the 1991 Palarong Pambansa.

Obet and I met when he worked with former Board Member Bob Maroma in the early 90’s. 

We weren’t close, but he was someone who believed in me, thus when he was elected as vice governor in 2001, he invited me to join his staff. 

(The author, who is now based in New York City, used to be the editor of two dailies in Iloilo—Ed)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. The day i knew you and become an FB friend is a blessing. Sir you are a man of integrity. Selom we find a man like you and i trust you. Your ambidextrous, curvaceous,multitalented personality and honesty is likable. I know what you say is coming from the heart. God bless. Guide us to see what others can't see.

    ReplyDelete