Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Female Pinoy leader shoo-in for 2012 Top 25 Canadian Immigrant plum

TOP 25 CANADIAN IMMIGRANT AWARDS


Female Pinoy leader 
barges in top 75 


PINOY PRIDE. Ms. Narima Dela Cruz and husband, Engr. Joel Dela Cruz

By Alex P. Vidal

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Narima Dela Cruz could become the first Filipino-Canadian woman leader from Surrey to be enshrined in the pedestal of modern leaders when the prestigious 2012 Top 25 Canadian Immigrants Awards finalize the list of awardees on April 13 this year. 
Dela Cruz, president and founding director of the Surrey Philippine Independence Society (SPIDS), has been chosen to be one of the 75 finalists among a selection of 300+ people. 
"Needless to say that the shortlisting made me happy and honored, still, I am aware that from 75 it wont be easy to make it to the Top 25," Dela Cruz, a successful realtor, wrote in her Facebook note on February 14.
She had been informed about being shortlisted in the awards a week earlier through email and telephone.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE

The Top 25 Canadian Immigrants is a peoples’ choice award that recognizes people who have come to Canada and have made a positive difference living here.  
Those who have made a particular or significant impact in 2011, as related to their achievements and contributions will be specifically considered to become shortlisted as finalists, it was learned.
Among their prominent past awardees include two former Governor General of Canada, Adrienne Clarksen and Michaelle Jean. 
There have been four winners in the past from Surrey, which include Dela Cruz's Facebook friend, Charan Gill, founder of PICS; 19 past winners from BC which include former Premier Ujjal Dosanjh and her another Facebook friend, Naeem Nick Noorani. 

FILIPINO AWARDEE 

Rafael Fabregas of Toronto was the only other Flipino past awardee. Fabregas is the author of the Tejada Law which brought reform to Canada’s Live-In Caregiver Program.  
Dela Cruz said she was struck by Fabregas' statement that "There are many hurdles to jump over along the way, but don’t let that stop you from moving forward and dreaming big. There’s nothing wrong with dreaming big."
"Last night (February 13)," narrated Dela Cruz, "the list of finalist and voting link was sent on my email encouraging me to send it to my circle and entourage to be able to vote for me, and when I first looked at it, I was stunned!"  
She said, "the line up was incredibly humbling and awe-inspiring!  To be selected based on criteria with these shortlisted nominees is a gift and a blessing. And so I no longer care about how being in the Top 25 would be difficult.  These 74 people I am with have achievements and contributions every one of which shine to the utmost, and I I feel I have already been awarded!"

'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW'

Dela Cruz wrote: "I have never ceased to believe that we reap what we sow and we sow what we reap, and that making a difference, no matter how little, comes back in 10th fold, even if you don't really wait for it."  
"Being with people is a passion to me.  It is bonus that I get to do it in both my line of work and in my passion to serve and share.
"I thanked God for always redeeming me at the end of every battle in life, and for guiding me  to do the right thing and decision, and leaning in to the light to make a worthy expression of life, and to bring honour to my race.  "At the risk of being accused of tooting my own horn,  I wish to share the link with you, with the hope that you can share it too and allow us to be privileged and recognized.  VOTING STARTS TODAY, February 14th and ends April 13, 2012.  Thank you for your never ending support. We will strive to bring back the Glory by continuing to do our share in helping make our world a better place to live in!"

No comments:

Post a Comment