Tuesday, May 21, 2013

EX-GMA TV-6 TALENT PROTESTS ARREST


'My family has suffered so much'

By Alex P. Vidal

A former GMA TV-6 talent and disc jockey has appealed to police authorities to "please tell the truth and nothing but the truth" saying his family "has suffered so much" from the negative publicity generated by his arrest last month on alleged possession of marijuana at a checkpoint outside a posh subdivision in La Paz district.
Berdie Vargas, 47, of Brgy. Taft North, Mandurriao district, who was arrested in a checkpoint mounted by the Iloilo City Public Safety at around 12 midnight in the morning while riding on motorcycle, insisted he was innocent and was only a victim of frame-up.
"I was a victim of frame up," he protested. "The marijuana was either planted by the police or any other unscrupulous personalities so that the rival of mayoralty candidate Rommel Ynion can come up with an issue and tarnish his image in the electorate."

BAIL

Vargas, who posted a P150,000 bail for his temporary freedom, helped campaign for Ynion, who was badly clobbered by reelectionist Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog by a margin of about 70,000 in the recent elections. 
"I want to clear my good name and that of my family," Vargas appealed.
He produced copies of dug test conducted by the police during the incident where they yielded negative results.
Cops flagged him down for not wearing a motorcycle helmet and failure to present his drivers’ license and registration papers.  
Reports said the cop who inspected Vargas’ motorcycle spotted an item taped under the body cover of the motorcycle. Closer scrutiny of the item led to the discovery of alleged dried marijuana leaves weighing 3.8 grams.

USER

"I am not a drug user," insisted Vargas. "The 3.8 grams the police alleged to have recovered from the motorbike was duct taped on the front hood of the motorcycle. In plain view, who in his right mind would tape a dangerous drug of such a small quantity on the hood of the bike, and pass through a check point?"
Vargas said he became associated with Ynion after he was hired as marketing manager of the politician's newspaper.
"I'm always happy when I see people succeed. It has always been my attitude in life. I have my ups and downs but I never resorted to anything illegal. I have a clean record with the companies that I worked before. I was not terminated from GMA as some of my detractors were trying to insinuate," he concluded.
Police denied they planted the marijuana found in Vargas' possession. 

No comments:

Post a Comment