Thursday, October 27, 2016

Books I 'lost' in Manhattan

"If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -- Emily Dickinson

By Alex P. Vidal

NEW YORK CITY -- Early this year, I received a  gift from a friend, lawyer-historian Boy Cabado: Dr. Ariel Durant's The Complete Story of Civilization epub version.
I don't need anymore to ransack any library each time I want to read some of the stories in that powerful 11-volume set. Amazing technology.
The file shared by Atty. Cabado was so comprehensive that anywhere I go, I can have instant access to the following volumes: Our Oriental Heritage, Life of Greece, Caesar and Christ, Age of Faith, Renaissance, Age of Reason Begins, Age of Louis XIV, Age of Voltaire, Rousseau and Revolution, Age of Napoleon, Reformation with the tip of my finger in my iPad or laptop.
In Upper West Manhattan recently, I nearly bought three of the most important volumes of Fr. Frederick Charles Copleston's influential multi-volume, A History of Philosophy (1946–75), in hard-bound copies.

FAIR TRADE

Because it was sold in a street fair trade, the price was very tempting. It was mouth-watering, to say the least.
I needed to take a subway train back to Queens and couldn't carry more loads in my knapsack, thus, with a heavy heart, I dropped the idea of adding those jewels in my collection of priceless reading materials.
Also, I remember Atty. Cabado's epub. Yes, Virginia. 
No need to belabor myself with those weighty or cumbersome items. Not when I am travelling.
Back in the Philippines three years ago, I remember retired city hall information chief, Boy Espejo, exhorting me to refrain from buying hard copies of great books among other important reading materials because they are now available in ebook, he said.
Fr. Copleston's books I saw during the street trade fair were: A History of Philosophy, Vol. 1: Greece and Rome From the Pre-Socratics to Plotinus; Vol. 2: Medieval Philosophy-From Augustine to Duns Scotus; and Volume 3: Late Medieval and Renaissance Philosophy: Ockham, Francis Bacon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment